Royal Development Vision
Major projects launched following the High Royal Directives: development of Lalla Yeddouna, rehabilitation of Fez and Meknes Medinas
Regional Development Vision
9 projects on creating traditional and handicraft activity zones (MMAD 341) in line with the 2020-2022 State-Region Contract-Program (Fez-Meknes RDP)
An ambition by 2042 (RSPS)
Fez-Meknes region: 1st High-value-added craft pole on a national and international scale
Overview of the sector
Fez-Meknes region is the leading production and marketing center for handicrafts, which is distinguished by the predominance of craftsmanship rooted mainly in the old medinas of its main cities (Fez, Meknes, Taza, Sefrou).
Three trades have an important share among these products: leather products, jewelry and shoes.
Characteristics of the sector :
Key Indicators (2019)
Contributing 12,8% of the national GDP of the sector, the craft industry is the second largest sector in the Region, with more than 40 000 crafts production units representing 123 000 jobs operating in nearly 205 trades.
The Region stands in the 3rd position in the export on a national scale, given its historical know-how that makes it a pole of artistic reputation. It is worth noting that there is a significant demand for regional handicrafts for export mainly through the cities of Casablanca, Tangier, Marrakech and abroad to the USA and Europe.
Source : Direction Régionale de l’Artisanat Fès-Meknès
Fez-Meknes region : Handicraft pole of Morocco
3rd position in export nationwide, following Casablanca (47%) and Marrakech (28%)
A strong demand for craft products for export: USA (68%), Europe (7,8%)
A wide range of products for export: Pottery and stone (21%), traditional clothing (21%), carpets (13%)
BMAD 10,3 of sales or 13,5% of the national turnover of the sector: clothing (31% of regional turnover) followed by the traditional building sector (20% of regional turnover)
Attractiveness factors of the Region
Designated tourist circuits
Formation par apprentissage
Innovative platforms for products marketing
On-line marketing and sales of Moroccan handicrafts have been signed by the Ministry of Tourism, Handicrafts, Air Transport and Social Economy, through the Craftsman Center and e-commerce platforms. Registration is carried out via the website : www.maisonartisan.ma
A partnership agreement was concluded on May 11, 2021 between the RIC Fez-Meknes and Glovo Morocco to support 500 craftsmen, caterers and traders in the Region per year as part of the digitization process and online marketing of their products, as well as the development of attractive marketing and delivery packages
Multifaceted projects for the development of the Region’s crafts
- Development of the extension of Benjellik craft district (MMAD 16)
- Construction of a center for the promotion and marketing of brassware products in the Ain Nokbi district (MMAD 30)
- International Handicrafts Fair dedicated to the promotion of handicrafts in the Region (MMAD 30)
- Organization of 6 thematic fairs (MMAD 22) : steel, leather, pottery, wood, weaving, plant products
- Bensouda Tree Nursery Incubator (MMAD 50) : Project aiming at enhancing the value of the Social and Solidarity Economy products through the implementation of training programs (35 cooperatives and 175 craftsmen will benefit from training programs and logistic support for the marketing of their products).
Need help ?
Do you need help to invest in Fez-Meknes region ? Our business managers are at your disposal to assist you from A to Z in your endeavors.
- Find out about investment opportunities in Fez - Meknes region
- Benefit from the know-how of our business managers
- Benefit from the expertise of our business managers
- Find out about the incentive opportunities for your investment project